roduct videos are one of the most specialist areas of film making. Film makers can spend hundreds of hours planning, rigging, filming and editing a shot that will last just one or two seconds on screen. As film makers this can be a painstaking process, as we know that producing a professional product video vs an amateur video can be the difference between compelling a customer to buy or go with a competitor. With that being said producing a professional product video can be a great way to showcase your product and its features to potential customers. Here are the steps to make a professional product video:
1. Define the objective: Determine what you want to achieve with the video. Do you want to demonstrate how the product works, highlight its features, or give an overview of the product? Having a clear objective will help guide the rest of the production process, make sure to take in to consideration where the video will be shown as this will affect things like running time and aspect ratio.
2. Plan the script: Write a script that clearly and concisely communicates the information you want to convey. Make sure to include any relevant information about the product, such as its features, benefits, and how it solves a problem.
3. Choose the right equipment: Choose the right equipment for your video, including a camera, lighting, and audio equipment. Consider renting equipment if you don't have everything you need. Specialist lenses such as a probe lens, super high speed camera or even a cinema robot may be worth considering for your shoot.
4. Set up the shot: Decide on the best angle and composition for your shot. Make sure that the product is well-lit and in focus. Pro tip - In most cases deep focus (as opposed to shallow focus) is preferred for product videography as people like to see more of the product.
5. Record the video: Start recording your video, following the script and showcasing the product in the best possible way. You may need to take several takes to get the shot just right. Try to create a rig that allows you to do multiple takes in a repeatable motion. Pro Tip - Make sure to film your video slightly wider than you may initially think. This will help resize the videos for vertical and square versions of the video later in post production if you're planning to posting the video on platforms such as TikTok and Instagram.
6. Edit the video: Once you have recorded the video, you'll need to edit it to get the best possible result. This may involve trimming, adding transitions, and incorporating music and sound effects. Using professional editing software such as premiere pro and after effects by Adobe will allow you to have the most creative control. If you are not familiar with these programs there are are loads of courses on YouTube that you can follow. Note - these programs can take years to master so try not to do anything too crazy if you're just starting out.
7. Add graphics and text: Consider adding graphics and text to the video to reinforce your message and highlight important information. Adobe After Effects will be ideal for this, if you don't know how to use after effects, consider hiring a professional to do this for you.
8. Add final touches: Make any final adjustments to the video, such as colour correction and sound mixing, to get the best possible result.
9. Share the video: Share the video on your website, social media, and any other relevant platforms to reach your target audience. - Make sure to create the optimum sized assets for your chosen platform i.e. 9:16 Aspect ratio for stories, or 1:1 Square for instagram.
As mentioned making a product video can be a time-consuming process, but the end result can be well worth it, especially if it helps to increase sales and interest in your product.
If you're looking for a professional video production company to take care of your product video production , feel free to reach out via our quote request form.